Top 10 Reasons To Become A Plumber




Number One: you'll always have a job. If you're a hard worker and you do what you're supposed to do, you learn well, but number one become good at it, you're always going to have a job okay? I see a lot of people in the trades that say: well you know I can't stay busy, or I can't keep working, I can't do this.  They may not be very good at what they do, or they may not be the best at what they do. Study hard, learn well, try to become the best and make this something that you want to do.  You can be really good at it.

Number Two: no student loans, okay? You do not have to go to college to become a plumber.  Now you can go to work for an open shop company, and you learn from other plumbers in your career that you work with or you can join the United Association, plumbers and pipe fitters union.  You'll go to school a couple of nights a week, and after five years you get your plumbing license.  It's a great way to go, you learn some good things.  Some instructors are excellent, some are bad.  You're going to deal with it, but you know what? You get an education, and you can still get a great career.

Number Three: different jobs.  You can work commercial, and you can work residential, you can work service, you can work new construction.  You can move up from there into management in just about any of those positions.  You can move into work on a computer, and you can do estimating, you can work in the office.  There's a lot of different things that you can do.  You can actually move up into general supervision where you run some of the biggest jobs in town, and you can also move up into Senior Management, Director of Operations, owner of a company.  There's a lot of different things that you can do.

number Four: there's room to grow.  You're going to come in at the bottom.  If you come in as an apprentice, listen and learn, ask questions, but always work hard. I'll keep coming back to that one: as long as you work hard, you'll have a good career ahead of you.

Number Five: work with people it does not matter if you're in the commercial, residential, service or new construction, you're going to be working around other people.  If you're in residential service, you're going to be going into peoples homes, and you're going to be taking care of their plumbing.  There's a lot of things that you can do there to take care of people, and it's a great, fulfilling thing. If you go commercial, tell you to go commercial, construction.  You're going to be working with other trades; you're going to be working with superintendents, you're going to be working with engineers, you're going to be working with building owners. There's a lot of different people that you're going to be working with, but one of the big ones is other plumbers.  You're going to work with other plumbers; you're going to learn from them, you can work with other apprentices.  You can learn from them too.



Number Six: chicks dig it. Okay, I know that sounds funny but here's why. As a plumber you make good money, and if you're making good money you can afford to take your girl out to a good dinner, a nice movie, a fun date, a nice trip, out of town, take good care of her on her birthday, there's a lot of things that you can do.  So yeah, chicks really do digit.

Number Seven: love what you do.  You know it's hilarious because I can still remember the very first job that I worked on, and every time we're down by there I always drive over by it and I tell my wife: look I don't know if you remember, but you know I worked on this building, this is where my plumbing career started, and she laughs and says: yeah I hear it every time we're down here.  You really do get excited, every time I see the Dallas skyline, I can point outbuildings that I've worked on.  Plumbing is a great career; it's something you can love.

Number Eight: work for yourself.  You can always move up, get your master license. Here in Texas, it's required to open your own company; you also have to be registered as an RMP - responsible master plumber and take the course for that.  But you can open your own company without a college education.  You can grow and grow yourself into whatever you want to be.

Number Nine: This is a career; it's not just a job.  It'll start out as a job, but the more you learn, the better you get, the more it becomes a career, and you can turn this into whatever you want to turn it into.  If all you want to be a plumber, I'll pick up my tools, Install pipe, everyday kind of plumber you can.  If you're going to be a plumber, where all I do is I grab my tool bag, I throw it in the van, and I run a service vehicle, and I take care of people all day.  There nothing wrong with that. I know some great plumbers, I know some great plumbers, that make a great living and they enjoy their life.  They don't have to deal with a lot of the headaches that a lot of business owners do.  So understand that it's a career, not a job.

And Number Ten: the best reason why to become a plumber, because of electricians such! Not really. But, I've never wanted to get shocked by electricity, so becoming an electrician was not a thing that I wanted to do, so I decided to become a plumber.  I don't mind getting wet; it really doesn't bother me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plumbing Tips That Can Help You Save on Plumbing Costs

Top DIY Plumbing Mistakes